Publications & International Speaking
Selection of written works & international speaking events
- Pinder, M. (2020) ‘Innovation Has A Much Bigger Role To Play’, in The Other Side of Growth: An Innovator’s Responsibilities in an Emerging World. Grand Rapids, MI: Global Innovation Institute (GInI), pp. 115–128. Available at Amazon.
- Pinder, M (2020), “Innovation Strategy Examples“, Board of Innovation BVBA Publication. Antwerp, Belgium.
- Pinder, M (2017), “Innovation Pathways Playbook & Toolbox”, Helsinki, Finland. Internal Valmet OY Publication,
- Pinder, M; Vanhoudt, A, (2017), “Design Thinking Playbook & Toolbox” Brussels, Belgium. Internal Proximus Publication.
- Pinder, M (2014), “Hackers and Innovation: Redefinition and Examination of Outlaw Sources of Generativity for Future Product Development Strategies“, London: Self published. Retrieved from http://hackerinnovation.mikepinder.co.uk.
- Contributor: Collins, H. (2010), “Creative Research: The Theory and Practice of Research for the Creative Industries (Required Reading Range)“, Lausanne: AVA Publishing SA.
- Pinder, M. (2020), ‘How to Evolve Your Strategic Innovation Capabilities to Meet the Emerging Post-Coronavirus (COVID-19) Value Landscape‘, Self Published: https://www.mikepinder.co.uk/2020/04/how-to-evolve-your-strategic-innovation-capabilities-to-meet-the-emerging-post-coronavirus-covid-19-value-landscape, retrieved 28th April, 2020.
- Pinder, M. (2020), ‘Our Favourite Digital Tools for Remote Collaboration‘, Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/staff_picks/our-favorite-digital-tools-for-remote-collaboration, retrieved 5th April, 2020.
- Pinder, M. (2020), ‘What is Business Design? Here’s Everything You Need To Know‘, Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/what-is-business-design, retrieved 30th March 2020.
- Pinder, M. (2020), ‘He-Man Can Teach You Powerful Lessons about How to Successfully Manage Continuous Innovation‘, Innovation Management SE: https://innovationmanagement.se/2020/01/30/he-man-can-teach-you-powerful-lessons-about-how-to-successfully-manage-continuous-innovation, retrieved 8th February 2020.
- Pinder, M. (2020), ‘He-Man Can Teach You Powerful Lessons about How to Successfully Manage Continuous Innovation‘, Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/he-man-can-teach-you-how-to-successfully-manage-continuous-innovation, retrieved 10th January 2020.
- Pinder, M. (2019), ‘7 Challenges Innovation Managers Face in 2020‘, Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/7-challenges-innovation-managers-face-in-2020, retrieved 11th December 2019.
- Pinder, M. (2019), ‘How to Create an Innovation Strategy that Translates Down to the Operational Team Level‘, Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/how-to-create-an-innovation-strategy-that-translates-to-the-operational-team-level, retrieved 5th December 2019.
- Pinder, M. (2019), ‘Has Your Business Model Concept Been Truly Validated?‘, Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/has-your-business-model-concept-truly-been-validated, retrieved 20th November 2019.
- Pinder, M. (2019), ‘The End of Agile? No, Quite the Opposite‘, Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/the-end-of-agile-no-quite-the-opposite, retrieved 20th September 2019.
- Pinder, M; Mucci, M (2019), ‘How to Assess Your Company’s Level of Innovation‘. Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/how-to-assess-your-companys-level-of-innovation, retrieved 25th March 2019.
- Pinder, M (2019), ‘B2B Co-creation: 50 Key Learnings and Insights‘. Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/b2b-co-creation-50-key-learnings-and-insights, retrieved 21st February 2019.
- Pinder, M; Keogh, J (2019), ‘Hiring Intrapreneurs: A Practical Guide with Examples‘. Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/hiring-intrapreneurs-practical-guide-with-examples, retrieved 15th January 2019.
- Pinder, M (2018), ‘Shifting Gears Between Design Thinking, Lean Startup and Agile‘. Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/shifting-gear-between-design-thinking-lean-startup-agile, retrieved 1st September 2018.
- Pinder, M (2018), ‘Effectively Shifting Gears Between the Different Phases of the Innovation Pipeline‘. Innovation Management SE: http://www.innovationmanagement.se/2018/08/21/effectively-shifting-gears-between-the-different-phases-of-the-innovation-pipeline, retrieved 21st August 2018.
- Pinder, M (2017), ‘16 Cognitive Biases That Can Kill Your Decision Making for Innovation‘. Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/2017/08/02/16-cognitive-biases-that-kill-innovative-thinking, retrieved 2nd August 2017.
- Pinder, M (2017), ‘Innovation Reality Check: Are You Building A Field of Dreams?‘. Board of Innovation BVBA: https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/2017/01/31/innovation-reality-check-are-you-building-a-field-of-dreams, retrieved 31st January 2017.
- Valmet OY (2019), ‘Annual Review 2018 Progress in Operations and Sustainability: Innovation Pathways Program‘ Available at: https://www.valmet.com/globalassets/investors/reports–presentations/annual-reports/2018/valmet_vsk_2018_en_secured.pdf (Accessed February 28th, 2019)
PhD Working Papers
- Pinder, M. (2011), “Robin Hood and His Merry Innovator’s: Integrating Outlaw Innovation from Unsanctioned External Sources to Firms in the Smartphone Market“. Imperial College London Business School PhD Programme.
- Pinder, M. (2010), “How will developments within digital technologies affect the Creative Industries?” accepted abstract/poster at Digital Futures – All Hands Meeting, July 15th 2010.
- Pinder, M., Collins H. (2010), “How will developments within digital technologies affect the Creative Industries?” paper accepted at The British Academy of Management (BAM 2010), Management Research in a Changing Climate, March 18th 2010.
- Pinder, M. Collins H. (2010), “How will developments within digital technologies affect the creative industries?” submitted to The Design Management Institute Review (DMI), February 2010.
- Pinder, M. (2009), “What impacts do new and future digital technologies have on the Creative Industries” submitted as part of MSc International Business & Management for Design, University of Salford / EUROMED Management / Ecole Internationale de Design.
- Pinder, M (2021), ‘Wicked Acceleration Labs Launch Event‘, Wicked Acceleration Labs, Imperial College Business School, Remoate Speaker Panel Host & Panel with World Economic Forum, SOFOFA Hub & SGInnovate, 8th June 2021, London, UK.
- Pinder, M (2021), ‘The Future of Corporate Innovation?’, Atos Innovation Week 2021, Atos, Remote Keynote & Panel Speaker, 8th June 2021, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Pinder, M (2020), ‘What’s next for Corporate Innovation, Entrepreneurial Acceleration and Scaling?‘, 2nd International Symposium on Corporate & Industrial Acceleration, Imperial College Business School, Speaker Panel, 3rd December 2020, London, UK.
- Pinder, M (2020), ‘Applying Design Thinking Across the Innovation Process in an Industrial B2B Co-creation Context‘, A.P. Moller Maersk Innovation Community Keynote Presentation, 6th November 2020, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Pinder, M (2020), ‘Best Virtual Consulting Collaboration Practices with World Economic Forum to Enable the Creation of Circular Economy Ecosystems Across the Globe‘, Praca Hybrydowa Konfercja (Hybrid Work Conference) 2020, Keynote Speaker, 8th-10th September 2020, Socjomania, Poland: https://www.pracahybrydowa.pl/konferencja.
- Pinder, M (2020), ‘ReThink Innovation Hub: How to Achieve Greater Efficiencies & Enterprise Wide Innovation Integration‘, Chairman & keynote speaker, 6th-7th October 2020, London, UK: https://www.diginohub.com.
- Pinder, M (2020) ‘Service Design for Innovation & Startups: The Challenges & Opportunities (Netherlands Chapter)‘, Invited Speaker, 6th May 2020, Virtual Meetup: https://www.service-design-network.org/chapters/netherlands.
- Pinder, M (2020), ‘Cambridge University Open Innovation Forum‘, Institute for Manufacturing Education & Consulting Services, Invited Speaker on Corporate Intrapreneurship, 25th March 2020, Dublin, Ireland: https://www.ifm.eng.cam.ac.uk/ecs/industry/oiforum/open-innovation-forum-introduction
- Pinder, M (2020), ‘2nd Design Thinking for Business Innovation Summit‘, Conference Chair & Host; Invited Keynote Speaker, 6th-7th February 2020, Barcelona, Spain: http://vonlanthengroup.com/en/events/2nd-design-thinking-for-business-innovation-summit.html.
- Pinder, M (2019), “Applying Service Design While Innovating Like a Startup: The Role of Service Design in Global Fortune 500 Project Teams”. 17th December, Discussion & Talk: Service Design for Innovation and Start-ups, NYC Service Design Collective (a chapter of the SDN) via Board of Innovation, New York City, Capital One Commercial Labs.
- Pinder, M (2019) ‘Service Design for Innovation & Startups: The Challenges & Opportunities (Belgium Chapter)‘, Invited Speaker, 30th October 2019, Board of Innovation HQ, Antwerp, Belgium: https://www.service-design-network.org/chapters/belgium.
- Pinder, M (2019), ‘Innovation Roundtable Summit 2019‘, Invited Speaker, 5-7 November, 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark: https://innovationroundtable.com.
- Pinder, M (2019), ‘POLISHOPA 2019 Design Thinking & Service Design Conference‘, Invited Speaker, 3rd-6th June 2019, Bydgoszcz, Poland: https://polishopa.pl.
- Pinder, M (2019), ‘Nexxworks Kickstart Innovation Bootcamp Entrepreneur Edition‘, Invited Speaker, 14th-16th May 2019, Antwerp, Belgium: https://nexxworks.com/innovation-programs/kickstart-innovation-bootcamp-entrepreneur-edition
- Pinder, M (2018), ‘Creativity Award 2018‘, Event Host at Ferring International, June 2018, St Prex, Switzerland: https://www.ferring.com
Journals & Research Papers
- Garcia-Herrera, C., Pinder, M., Autio, E. (2021) ‘Accelerating Multi-stakeholder Moonshots To Address Grand Challenges: The Case of Circular Economy Innovation‘, accepted paper: ‘37th EGOS Colloquium, Vrije Universiteit (VU) Amsterdam – Organizing for an Inclusive Society: Meanings, Motivations, and Mechanisms (Sub-theme 47: Multi-stakeholder Initiatives: Inclusive Dynamics to Address Grand Challenges)‘, 8th-10th June. Working paper available at Research Gate.
- Pinder, M (2019), ‘Applying Service Design While ‘Innovating like a Start-up’. The role of service design in global Fortune 500 project teams‘. The Journal of Service Design, Vol. 11 No. 1 Service Design for Innovation and Start-ups, p. 14-19. Service Design Network. Available at: https://www.service-design-network.org/touchpoint/vol-11-no1-service-design-for-innovation-and-start-ups/applying-service-design-while-innovating-like-a-start-up.
- Pinder, M. (2016), “External Hacker Communities and Industry-wide Innovation Sources: The Role of Disruptive, Autonomous End-users and Consumers On Internal R&D Teams Within Device Manufacturing Firms.” London: Self published. Retrieved from http://www.mikepinder.co.uk/2016/07/external-hacker-communities-industry-wide-innovation-sources-role-disruptive-autonomous-end-users-consumers-internal-rd-teams-within-device-manufacturing-firms.
- View my ResearchGate profile here.
International Lecturing & Teaching
- Autio, E. Pinder, M. (2021) ‘Digital Business Model Design’. Full-Time MBA Course, Imperial College Business School. June 16th to July 8th, London, United Kingdom.
- Pinder, M. (2021) ‘Sustainable Design Leadership’. MSc Course at The Sustainable Design School (SDS). March 15th: Remote, Nice, France.
- Autio, E. Tucci, C. Makepeace, J. Pinder, M. Rebolledo, N. (2021) ‘Imperial Innovation Challenge: Deep Tech Acceleration (Designing Experimentation Plans for Customer Validation)’. Imperial College Business School & Royal College of Art. February 11th, London, United Kingdom.
- Pinder, M. Collins, H. Linscott, G. and Weed, J. (2020) ‘Business School Design Thinking Micro-credential & Executive Education Expertise Interviews & Fireside Discussions’. United Kingdom: The Open University (OU) Business School.
- Pinder, M. (2020) ‘Imperial College London Business School: MBA Program: Innovation & Entrepreneurship Module, Business Model Innovation‘, January 2020, London, United Kingdom.
- Pinder, M. (2017), ‘BA Hons Product Design & Entrepreneurship: Professional Development for Innovation & Entrepreneurship Consulting Careers‘, December 12th, University Laval, Québec.
Third Party Articles
- Runway Innovation Hub (2021) ‘The Ultimate Guide to Startup Scouting and Engagement’, Blog Article. Available at: https://runway.is/blog/startup-scouting-engagement.
- Leonardi, C. and Kuhn, N. (2020) “Human’s Diary | Chapter 7”, Human’s Diary Project, Medium. Available at: https://medium.com/@humansdiary/humans-diary-chapter-7-aaf4623fed2c.
- Fagerlund, M. (2020) “My Job is in Innovation and I don’t like Pizza”, Service Design Network Meetup. New York, NY: Service Design Network. Available at: https://medium.com/nyc-service-design-collective/my-job-is-in-innovation-and-i-dont-like-pizza-d55f92b4303f.
Interviews & Podcasts
- Pinder, M (2019), Interview with Mareike Marwitz for ARYZE on Innovation Strategy Creation, 13 November 2019, available at: https://blog.aryze.io/how-to-implement-an-innovation-strategy-in-five-days
- Pinder, M. (2019), Interview with Radek Ratajczak for POLISHOPA Design Thinking Conference 2019, Bydgoszcz, Poland, 4 June, 2019.
- Pinder, M. (2019), Interview with Brigitte De Wolf-Cambier for EH21 (Repenser L’Entreprise Autour de l’Homme), 28 March 2019, p6-7 (in French), available at: https://eh21.be/nous-aidons-les-entreprises-a-innover-comme-des-start-up
Awards & Nominations
- Guest Editor: Touchpoint: The Journal of Service Design (Innovation and Startups), Vol 11, No.1 (2019).
- Awarded EPSRC Fully Funded Doctoral Programme at Imperial College London Business School, Innovation & Entrepreneurship Group (2010).
- Nominated for Best Masters Thesis Award (MSc International Business & Management for Design), University of Salford (2009).