Multidisciplinary background in Design, Business and Digital Innovation Management
A highly-driven design, business and innovation strategic-thinker and doer with valuable experience in managing digital innovation strategy for multi-million-pound invested startup in new 3D sensing technology hardware and software R&D. Adept at critical, creative and analytical thinking across multi-disciplinary domains throughout the innovation process, whilst applying user-centred design thinking, qualitative research and service design methodologies and toolkits to drive deep-insight generation of unmet needs and problems into viable solutions.
It’s cliché, but I’m what’s referred to by IDEO as a T shaped skills person. I have a breadth of knowledge across several disciplines in design, business, innovation (top of the T) plus a depth of expertise and experience in my specialisations (vertical parts of the T). This allows me to link-up different perspectives and ideas from various specialisations and helps cross-functional teamwork by understanding wider backgrounds with more empathy for the innovation process.
- Design Management
- Design Thinking
- Service Design
- Lean Startup
- Business Model Innovation
- Innovation Research
- Design Research
- CX/UI/UX Design
- Business & Management
- Design Strategy
- Strategic Management
- Innovation Strategy
- Critical, analytical mindset
- Strategic planning
- Creative thinking
- Team working
What is my unique value?
- Initial planning
- User research
- Design implementation and prototyping
- Understanding the business environment and requirements
- Managing innovation commercialisation and future strategy
How do I apply these multidisciplinary skills to my work?
- In how to put the user at the centre of the design process to analyse unmet needs and problems by carrying-out user and consumer research requirements.
- Wire-framing, prototyping and evaluating new concepts rapidly.
- Implementing and delivering design solutions technically.
- Gathering further user insights for future design iterations.
- Understanding the design context, consumer culture and semiotic meanings of design.
- Speaking the language of design.
- By understanding the macro and micro business environments and applying the appropriate strategic business research tools.
- A core understanding of organisational theories and literature.
- Development of appropriate commercial value propositions for business based upon design and market research.
- By communicating across design and business and aligning design strategy with business strategy requirements.
- Facilitating close collaboration between design and business disciplines.
- Speaking the language of business.
- Understanding the product lifecycle and types of innovation created (incremental/radical, open/closed, diffusion, architectural/component, internal/external etc).
- Sustaining future sources of innovation for future product iterations.
- Understanding sources of knowledge for continued and sustained innovation and emergence of dominant designs.
- How creating new cultural meaning through design is key to innovation success.
- How digital technologies affect innovation sources through the erosion of boundaries and scope of firms.
- How porous firm boundaries and capabilities are key to innovation sources internally.
It is always amazing to see new talent with a desire for innovation and design emerging from academia and finding its way to industry. This is the case of Mike, whose management methodologies and new product development skills are outstanding and very desirable for any kind of industry.Dr Sergio Castillo Garcia (Head of Electronics TITAN REALITY)
Mike has applied himself successfully to many disciplines in his role as Digital Innovation Strategist at Titan Reality and adopts new skills and technologies with enthusiasm. He is a pleasure to work with and demonstrates attention to detail, is always focused on the task in hand and has a thorough understanding of innovation and product development.Jim Simons (Software Architect, TITAN REALITY)
I worked with Mike for several years within a multi-disciplinary team of software developers, research scientists, designers and engineers and had the pleasure of seeing him work seamlessly across design, business, management and innovation roles in the startup environment. I was particularly impressed by his wealth of knowledge across the design process, backup-up by a strong strategic business mindset as well as his ability to get people on board with new creative ideas from different disciplines. Mike is someone with strong ambition, is self-motivated and would be a tremendous asset to any team.Vassilis Valavanis (DSP Engineer & Researcher)